Friendship Peak is a majestic mountain, situated at Pir Panjal range, in Kullu District of Himachal Pradesh. This mountain, covered with snow, is perched at an altitude of 5,289 m above the sea level. The best route to access this peak is through Dhundi and Beas Kund. The ideal time to climb this peak is from May to June and September to October. Bhunter Airport and Bus from Delhi to Manali is the best way to reach Manali. Friendship peak in the Beas Kund area is an ideal non-technical trekking peak for those with limited or no mountaineering knowledge.
Day 01 Arrival in Manali.
Arrival at Manali by morning. On arrival transfer to hotel for relaxation till afternoon. After lunch introduction with arrival team and local guide, and other team member. In the afternoon visit to Hadimda Temple and also an acclimatization walk. Evening free to explore the Mall Road, overnight stay at hotel and tent.
Day 02 Manali -Solang nala-bakerthach(3500mts / 11480Bmt )
After breakfast, drive Manali to Dhundhi, its take time 1 and half hours. We meet you at hotel in the morning. Then depart to the starting point at Dundi. We meet our rest of expedition team here, which is include cooks and horse man. We leave our baggage with them to put on horses. When we reach Dundi enroot you will trek through lush of green valley and forest. We start our walk, which is through the Palchani Thach.
First day is little bit short because of lots of things they have to pack on horse. We reach in camping at around 1 o’clock where we will have lunch and by the time we finish our lunch, our arrive and we sat tents and settle in. Rest of the day is spent in exploring surrounding. The camping around you can see lots of big snow capped mountain. Before Dinner discussion about next planning. Dinner and overnight stay in camp.
Day 03 Bakertach Camp - Beas Kund Base camp 3690m
Trek to Beas Kund 3690m. Today after breakfast we climb gently to Beas kund, through bolders and rocks for few minutes. We will now soon discover tiny like of Beas Kund. Now small introduction about BeasKund, Beas who is author of The Mahabharata, the great Indian epic.
Beas Kund – this is the main base camp for lots of peak like Shitidhar, Ladakhi, Manali and also for Friendship peak. The peaks above 6000m are Maker and Shiker Beh both are technical and difficult to climb. Lahul valley region lies to the north of Beas Kund just behind the great wall of these mountains, to the west Kangra as Dhauladher range. After reach Beas Kund we are having our hot lunch here. After lunch go to your tents for relaxation. Our dinner and over night in Beas Kund base camp.
Day 04 Full day in Beas Kund Base Camp
Early In the morning you can see top of the Hanuman Tibba when the sun will raise the top of Hanuman tibba rocks are shining, they will look golden color. After having our breakfast we all are going for acclimatization walk around the Beas kund. We are doing some training is there because some are they don’t know how they are going to use these technical equipments those are they have. If they don’t know it’s ok we will teach you till afternoon.
we will teach you some amount of technique those technique you are going to use in climbing like ascending and descending on snow, if you fall on snow how you will stop, about important knots, use of ice axe. After learn these things we are going for having hot lunch. After lunch taking short rest we are packing our things for advance camp. Then distribute all the technical equipment to group. After that, dinner and overnight stay in Base camp in Beaskund camp.
Day 05 Base camp - Advance camp
In the morning after breakfast trek further and establish advance camp. The Camp trek is around 4 to 5 hour walk we start our day with an uphill. These hours depending on speed. You have to walk total uphill. After reached there they are putting our tent own self.
When you looking around you can see great view of mountain lines and you can see both mountain ranges Pir Panjal and Dholadar rang. Front of you you can see tall Hanuman tibba mountain. Right of Hanuman tibba you can see high mountain Maker Beh and sheker Beh. Behind of you there is head of Friend ship peak, your summit point. Dinner and overnight stay in advance camp. After dinner distributing dry ration to all climbers.
Day 06 Reserved day for summit attempts - Bakertach
Early in the morning 3 o’clock we are going start to move summit. It’s around 6 hour walk between advance camps to summit. We have to face lot of difficult between this climbing like crevasses. We have to climb these crevasses.
Around 8 to 9 o’clock we reach on the top of mountain. When you stand on the top you are feeling awesome. You can see towards the Lahul Spiti, lots of high mountains, green valleys, Manali town. After summit back to advance camp we are packing our all things and walk down to Bakertach. We are having our Hot lunch there. After lunch we are taking rest. Dinner and overnight stay in Bakertach camp.
Day 07 Back to Manali
Morning after breakfast descending down to Dundi. After reached Dundi by car to Manali. Manali lunch will ready. After lunch we all are going for hot spring bath to Basisth. You’re over night stay in hotel.
The Trip Cost Includes
- All accommodation during trek
- 1st day hotel accommodation in Manali
- All meals during trek
- Necessary Permits and first aid medical kits
- Qualified and experienced mountain guide, and support staff.
- Oxygen Cylinder and stretcher for emergency case.
- High altitude rescue expert trek leader.
- Necessary equipments for climbing, ropes, ice axe and other technical gear for climbing.
- Transportations Manali to Dhundhi and return Dhundhi to Manali.
The Trip Cost Excludes
- Any type of personal expenses
- Food in hotel (Manali)
- Extra snacks and meals during trek from shop
- Insurance of the trip
- Things not mentioned under Inclusions
- Mule or porter to carry personal luggage.
- Personal gear, and equipment
- A rucksack with rain cover
- A water bottle or a hydration pack
- A Hand/Head Torch with spare batteries
- UV Protection Sunglasses
- A trekking pole
Since it is a high altitude trek, at least 3 layers of clothing is mandatory. A full sleeve shirt, a fleece jacket, and a padded jacket are imperative. An additional layer (Thermal bodywarmers) for the evenings in the high altitude campsites are strongly recommended
- Quick Dry Warm lower or Track Pants - 2
- Full sleeves T-shirts - 2
- Thermal Bodywarmer Upper & Lower - 1
- Fleece Jacket - 1
- Padded Jacket -1 (Goose down or feather is preferable)
- Full sleeves sweater - 1 (Needed if you feel cold at high altitudes despite 4 layers)
- Rainwear (Jacket & Pants) - 1
- Thick woolen socks - 1 pair
- Cotton socks - at least 2-3 pairs
- Undergarments - 1 for every day of trekking
- Pair of Warm Gloves - 1
- Woolen cap - 1
- Hiking shoes (Preferably ankle high) -1
- Pair of lightweight Slipper/Sandals - 1 pair.
- Sunscreen lotion, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, toilet roll, cold cream, small towel.
- Anti-fungal cream: Carry an antifungal cream if you are sensitive to sweating and prone to skin irritations around genitals or groin area due to lack of bathing.
- For women:
- Tampons or sanitary napkins,
- 2-3 zip pouches to dispose off non-biodegradable waste
- Vaginal wash to avoid any irritation due to lack of bathing.
- Water bottle
- Camera (optional)
- Personal medicine kit. Though our trek leaders carry a fully equipped first-aid kit, make sure you consult your doctor before the trek in case you have any special ailment.
- Dry fruits, energy bars
Fitness Required for Friendship Peak Trek
At high altitude as the air gets thinner oxygen becomes less abundant.The percentage saturation of hemoglobin with oxygen determines the content of oxygen in our blood. After the human body reaches around 2,100 m (7,000 feet) above sea level, the level of oxygen in our hemoglobin begins to plummet. However, the human body has both short-term and long-term adaptations to altitude that allow it to partially compensate for the lack of oxygen.The Friendship Peak Trek is an challenging trek suitable for trekkers with prior experience in high altitude treks is recommended.
Who Can Go:-
Here are the fitness criteria one has to match absolutely for conquering Friendship Peak with us:
- Experience of high altitude trek at least 2 treks of more than 4500 mt. or 14,700 ft.
- The climber must be fit and have sufficient stamina to cover 6 km of distance in 35 minutes without a stress.
- A goods carrying benchmark relevant in this expedition, the climber should be able to carry a 10 to 15 kg expedition bag pack.
- Heart problem, high blood pressure, asthma, and epilepsy cannot be reconciled on this mission. The climber must not have these conditions mentioned above.
If you’re trekking to Friendship Peak Trek , note that the temperature drops to around -8 to 10 degree Celcius at night. During the day, the temperature will be at around 10 to 15 degrees. While going for summit the extreme temperature could make breathing slightly difficult. Doing breathing exercises before the trek will help. Expand your lungs and learn to breathe deep. This will help you inhale more oxygen and help you breathe comfortably.
- Jog/Run for 5 Kms in 25-30 mins or Walk continuously for 10 km (with 3-4 small breaks) on plain terrain (slight incline is better)
- Hold your breath for 40 seconds
- 3 sets of Climbing 30 – 40 steps in one stretch
- Push Ups – 10
- Lunges & Squats – 15 X 2 sets
Monitoring health on a trek
Any abnormal reading will be paid special attention to and action will be taken immediately.
On the trek, your Trek Leader will be monitoring two aspects a day.
- Oxygen Level
- Pulse Rate
High Altitude Medical Kit
Your trek leader will also be carrying a full-fledged high altitude medical kit. This will include basic medicines and specific medicines catering to altitude sickness – Diamox, Dexamethasone . Your Trek Leader will also be carrying a portable oxygen cylinder throughout the trek. In addition to that, there are oxygen cylinders installed at all high campsites for any emergency situations.
Acclimatisation in high altitude
This is one of the most important aspects of travelling in the high Himalayas and cannot be ignored or set aside. Acclimatisation basically means our body adjusting to lower levels of oxygen (rarefied air) & reduced air pressure as me move up. In case one does not acclimatise properly there are chances of the person facing extreme discomfort and this can be fatal in extreme cases. While there is no set route to getting properly acclimatised there are a general precautions and steps that one can take to initiate good acclimatisation.
The Nearest Airport Which Is 52 Km From Manali Is Bhunlar Airport. Cab Services Are Available Costing 700-1000 Rs From Manali. Bhuntar Is Well Connected By Delhi
Manali Is Well Connected To Delhi You Can Take Overnight Bus From Delhi And You Will Reach Manali In 12-14 Hours. Tickets Can Be Booked Online